Happy New Year! Welcome to our new section: Cooking with Bon Gros Homme (“The Good Fat Man”).
He is a sauté-er, bbq-er, and wrestling fan who embodies what it means to be a modern Jewish dad. He loves his kids, loves to eat unhealthy food, and pulls his weight in his mishpacha (family).
Enjoy this recipe for his Tortilla Pie. It’s not kosher. But it is delicious. Make it, eat it, love it.
Bon Gros Homme’s Tortilla Pie
- 3 lbs chicken
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 jar salsa
- 1 bag shredded cheese
- 1 bag large corn tortillas
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil or cooking spray
- Combine chicken, taco seasoning, and water.
- Cook chicken for 4 hours in a slow cooker, or 1 hour in an Instant Pot.
- Remove chicken and drain liquid.
- Pull or dice or chop chicken (depending on your preference).
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Coat a pyrex dish with oil or cooking spray.
- Place a single layer of tortillas overlapping on the bottom of the dish.
- Add layers of chicken, cheese, and salsa.
- Repeat until pan is full or you’re too damn hungry to wait much longer. Finish off with a top layer of cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes at 350° F.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes. (Or say f---k it and eat the sh-t depending on your tolerance for scorching you mouth.)